PLEASE READ: What is this site all about? How does it work?
freepartypeople is simply a place for free party and free festival memories from the UK from 1990-1994.
Leave a comment with your reminiscences.
Thank you all for visiting, and especially those of you who have contributed 🙂
Thanks to all the commenters, and an even bigger thankyou to the people who lent us their photos and flyers to be scanned, as well as writers of longer posts.
We’re ALWAYS looking for more party reports about big and small early ’90’s free raves and festivals, as well as background on soundsystems and music and random vaguely related rantings, so if you remember something, leave a comment! Also, send your flyers, photos, videos, diary pages and mixtape mp3’s.
Some soundsystems seriously under-represented on the internet include DiY, Sketch, Lazy House, Bedlam, Tekno Travellers, Circus Warp and lots of other Circuses (Irritant, Normal etc.) Please send us some memories about them, either if you went to their parties, or were involved with putting parties on with them in some way. Spiral Tribe are well-known and well-documented, but it’s about time we heard more about the unsung heroes of the free party scene…
NB We publish all comments, but they have to be approved first, which doesn’t take very long.
We’re happy to put our friends’ writings, photos and diary page scans on this page because this, to us at least, was an exciting time and worth reminiscing about and telling others about. However, please don’t hotlink to or steal any of our images. We don’t steal or hotlink to anyone else’s.On the other hand, feel free to link to any post (or to the front page)nd we’ll usually return the favour by linking to your site.
We don’t make any money from the site. Not a penny. It’s done out of love, so please try to respect that 😀
We used WordPress to set up this site (easy peasy, highly recommended, especially for someone who’s never blogged before), but it’s not a ‘traditional blog’, i.e. we don’t post regularly, and the dates the events happened are totally unrelated to the dates we post on.
In case you’re having trouble finding your way round, this is how this site works:
* The front page is where you’ll see either the 5 latest/most recently updated posts. Older posts can be viewed by clicking ‘Older Entries’ at the bottom of the post.
* Clicking on the banner at the top always brings you back to the front page.
* ‘Posts’, also on the right, contains a list of all posts. The first items on the list are reports about parties in chronological order. These are followed by other posts about e.g. particular sound systems, mix tapes, etc.
* Next is a dropdown ‘category’ menu. ‘Categories’ are just like tags or keywords. If for instance you wanted to check out some parties in 1991, select ‘1991′ and you’ll be taken to a page that lists the most recent post on anything connected to the year 1991.
* Next, the search box, which does what you’d expect it to.
* Then there are some links to (sometimes only vaguely) related sites created by friends and strangers. A rollover with the mouse will tell you more about each of these. Please do pay them a visit, you’ll find all kinds of interesting music, photography, and rave/counterculture history there. Do let us know if any of these (or any other links on the site) have stopped working, and we promise to fix them as soon as possible 🙂
* Finally the stats, which at the time of writing reads ‘79,452 hits’.
Thanks again for visiting and please let us know if you have any problems accessing posts after the changes we’ve made.